Thursday, March 18, 2010

Conflict or not to conflict...

A couple months ago my best friend, Chrissy, and me got into one of our first arguments. We have a very playful relationship and we joke around a lot and it may seem like we are fighting, but we never are. So on this particular day we had a party and some things got out of hand. I wanted to handle it one way and she wanted to handle it the opposite way. We were both a little intoxicated so we decided to go with my way and then we would talk about it in the morning. Morning came and we started to discuss our issue. The problem that we had was that there were some people at our apartment that we did not know. Chrissy wanted them to leave and I said it was okay if they stayed; she got really heated over this. So they stayed and everything ended up working out, just as I thought. So when we talked about this we both tried to use constructive conflict communication so we were not disrespecting each other. We both listened closely to each other and understood where each other were coming from. We both let each other say what we had to say without interruptions. I asked her why she was so concerned with the random people being over and she expressed that she just felt uncomfortable not knowing them. I came to realize that this was a valid argument and I expressed that to Chrissy. We focused on the way that we both felt about the situation and how we would come to a consensus together the next time this problem came up. We both once again expressed our points of views and ultimately came to a compromise that it was okay that those people stayed and we worked through the conflict with constructive communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment