Sunday, February 7, 2010

Journal Entry #1

Identity Scripts

            In Chapter 2 we talked about identity scripts.  Identity scripts according to Wood (2010), “Define our roles, how we are to play them, and the basic elements in the plots of our lives” (p. 47).  When I think about identity scripts one in particular that sticks with me deals with sports and my dad.  My parents have been separated since I have been in the seventh grade and the only times that I can remember with my dad involve me and/or my brother and/or sister playing sports.  Sports were a huge part of my dad growing up so he instilled those same values in us. He always forced my sister and I to play softball and I hated it.  I think it was resentment toward my dad that made me hate the sport even more.  Because of these “values” that my dad tried to instill in us that only had to do with athletics made me have an identity script of being athletic even when I quit the sports after high school.  To this day my best fried calls me “jock strap” which is just foul and ridiculous, but I believe it is because I played sports my whole life and the identity script still sticks with me.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment