Monday, February 8, 2010

Journal Entry #2

Attachment Styles

            In Chapter 2 we talked about four different types of attachment styles.  The four include: secure, fearful, dismissive, and anxious/ambivalent.  In class we talked about these different attachment styles in relation to children, so that is how I am going to relate this.  The attachment style that I am most related to with my mother is the secure attachment style.  According to Wood (2010), “A secure attachment style is facilitated when the caregiver responds in a consistently attentive and loving way to the child.  In response, the child develops a positive sense of worth, and a positive view of others” (p. 47).  I think there are grey areas on these attachment styles as you grow older, but all in all I believe that this style was definitely the attachment that I had with my mother growing up.  My mother’s life has always revolved around my sister, my brother, and myself.  In return my mother is all of our best friends.  She always was there for us and we do the same in return now that we are older.  As far as the grey area goes I believe now that we are older we learn things on our own in addition to what my mother taught us and we go through spurts where we have trust and other issues with people, but I do not feel that this coincides with my attachment style from when I was a little baby/kid.  I thank my mother as much as I can for using her attachment style on me because I believe that it has allowed me to build the relationships that I have in my life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment